Full-Time • Chapleau Region
Interpret, collect and compile geological information, communicate with and direct underground production crews and provide support for the Mining department, the Engineering department, for underground operations diamond drilling, for reserve/resource calculations and for data management.
Safety & Sustainability Expectations
- Accountable for own health and safety performance.
- Ensures actions will not cause unsafe situations.
- Wear “Personal Protective Equipment” in the required areas.
- Be alert and observe, correct and report unsafe conditions.
- Follows operating procedures, and maintains an interest in safety
- Promote and maintain an accident free work environment
- Manage appropriate grade control activities to maximize the short and long term profitability of the operation.
- Accountable for following all operating procedures, the Fatality Risk Management, Occupational Health & Safety Act; company policies and comply with all regulatory requirements in order to maintain a safe, clean work environment.
- Expedite all geological duties in the underground operation, of which the principle role is grade control, which is principally one of data collection and presentation.
- Give geological support to the underground operation, working closely with the mining supervision and operators.
- Perform grade control including the sampling and monitoring of mining areas, assay validation, data entry, grade estimation, presentation of results and support to production in the most efficient method for the extraction of both ore and waste.
- Maintaining of data bases for production and reconciliation purposes.
- Advice is given freely on ground control and other geologically related issues.
- Continual improvement of existing processes in both grade and ground control.
- Provide current geological information and 3D models to the Engineering Department as required for planning purposes
- Assist in the coordination of underground diamond drill hole programs
- Assist in the calculation of reserves and resources
- Identify areas of interest for potential exploration targets.
Education, Training and Experience
- Bachelor of Science. in Geology
- PGeo designation or working towards designation
- 3-5 years experience in a mining environment preferred. Some of this should be in an underground mine with exposure to technical computing.
- Experience with geological modelling, mine planning, and database software (Leapfrog, Vulcan, Deswik, Acquire) preferred.
- Proven leadership capabilities as you will be guiding the production department and making decisions with regards to production activities as required.
- Innovative and a proven ability to work with others.
- Focused on results
- Strong knowledge of mining processes and of company and regulatory safety standards and procedures.
This position is supporting the Borden mine site.
The schedule for this position is 7 days on 7 days off.
Newmont is the world’s leading gold company and a producer of copper, silver, zinc and lead. The Company’s world-class portfolio of assets, prospects and talent is anchored in favorable mining jurisdictions in North America, South America, Australia and Africa. Newmont is the only gold producer listed in the S&P 500 Index and is widely recognized for its principled environmental, social and governance practices. The Company is an industry leader in value creation, supported by robust safety standards, superior execution and technical proficiency. Newmont was founded in 1921 and has been publicly traded since 1925.
Consistent with Newmont’s values of safety and responsibility, we believe that COVID-19 vaccination is a critical tool to fight this pandemic and protect the health and safety of Newmont’s workforce and the communities in which we work and live. Accordingly, if you receive an offer of employment for this position, you will be required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before you commence employment with the company. Newmont will consider individual requests for exemption/reasonable accommodation by applicants who cannot be fully vaccinated due to medical reasons or other grounds protected by applicable human rights law.
As an equal opportunity employer, Newmont is committed to diversity, inclusion and accessibility. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.